Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Living in NYC


Relationship

A thing about new york is the diversity. I was overwhelmed by people pouring out of the subway stations, jogging, running, walking, calling, eating, singing, dancing, kissing, laughing, frowning, yelling, chatting, doing everything one can possibly do on the street. And everyone is so drastically different from one another, in their clothings, attitudes, ways they walk, languages, hairs, faces. It is such splendid individuality in new york which makes it more fascinating to find what is beyond the overwhelming individuality. Things like similarities, languidness behind such fanatic flux of movements, cycles, repetitions, emptiness, and lack of communications.



A Night Falls on the Union Square



Racing


I took the following two shots on the second floor of the Wholefoods. Night is the time when the boundaries between things get fuzzy, two different things merge into one, things are shed different light.



The Sun Never Sets on the Empire



Merging



Architecture of Waiting

I would like to discuss further about the Architecture of Authority, the exhibition at Chelsea we went today, later in a separate posting, so I will simply say here that when I look back the pictures I took only a few days ago, I feel something completely different. There are many times in our lives when we simply have to wait. When we arrive early for a date, we have to wait. We wait in supermarket lines, boarding lines, movie theater lines, and so on. We wait for package deliveries. We wait for people, things, results, awards, money, love, etc etc. Sometimes, we can do something to make things come faster. We pay for next-day-guaranteed mail deliveries. We can call someone to come faster (though this may not change the consequence anyway). But there are times that there is absolutely nothing we can do about it. Waiting in a supermarket line is one of them. You wait until a machine voice assigns you a number. People wait because they know they have to wait. I don't like those moments when I have to wait without having anything I can do in the meantime--when I didn't bring my cellphone, when I am alone, when I don't have a book to read, etc. I hate it even more when I do have things to do while I wait, but realize that that doesn't make much of a difference.



No Title



No Title



Chrysler Tower


I did not modified any of the photos here on Photoshop even though since I did not take it raw, and I used the standard picture mode in my camera, it is already modified in some sense. I believe that I can certainly make the images better by editing, but I wanted to write about them first before I forget what I was thinking.

4 comments:

K.P. said...

I really like your photo 'Relationships". Your reflection in the mirror creates a nice self portrait and places you in the middle of the scene you're photographing.

Anonymous said...

Last night I was thinking about how I consider New York City to be one of the loneliest places in the world. So many people surround me when I’m here, but feel more alone at times than I ever have. None of these people knows me, thinks about me, cares about me, etc. New Yorkers have to desperately try to stand out, be an individual, and not get lost in the crowd as I sometimes feel I do when I’m in New York. But your photos don’t let them do that. In the darkness, everything and everyone blends together and some of the individuality that the subjects of your pictures and even of New York City itself strive for is lost. I love these pictures because they tell the truth, but I hate these pictures because they tell the truth. To be clear, I don’t actually hate these pictures at all, I think they’re lovely, I just hate they way they make me feel. Regardless of any of your personal intentions behind these photos, for me, when I look at them I am forced to see New York in the way I hate to: huge, empty, and a little bit lonely.

jbkopstein said...

your writing alongside the pictures is also impressive. I really like the way you are able to analyze your photos and place them together.

Anonymous said...

love the first picture in this post very much. i'd have to agree with sophie, new york is really lonely to me at times. things are going going all the time and people always get left behind sometimes. i think your night pictures capture this pretty well.

-amanda